If you’ve ever wondered what happens to that plastic bottle you tossed into the recycling bin, chances are good that you can find it transformed right beneath your feet … and into your carpet. Intended for residential use, this earth-friendly carpet offers many sustainable advantages that have become part of green efforts for many homeowners.
The recycled bottles contain a resin in the polyester family known as polyethylene terephthalate, or PET. These bottles are labeled with the familiar “1” recycling code. Just in the last ten years, the use of PET carpeting has been recommended as a component to effective sustainability practices. The recycling of soda and water bottles produces yarn that is higher in quality than almost every other synthetic carpet yarn. There are a little more than twenty North American PET recycling companies in operation.
Advantages of PET
PET carpet has many advantages and qualities that make it a practical and lovely addition to a home. In addition to being earth-friendly, it is exceptionally soft and supple. Here are some other advantages of green carpet made from recycled plastic bottles:
- The plastic fiber of PET carpeting wears well and resists absorbing stains. It also reflects light, which gives the carpet clarity of color.
- PET is superior to lower grades of virgin synthetic fibers used in making other brands of polyester carpet yarns.
- The installation process and care are the same as traditional carpet.
- Old PET carpet can live on when it is “down-cycled” for use in other applications such as car parts, insulation, and even furniture stuffing.
- PET carpets are naturally stain-resistant and do not require the chemical treatments used on most nylon carpets, and they retain color and resist fading from exposure to the sun or harsh cleaning.
Carpeting made from recycled plastic bottles is available in all sorts of colors, patterns, and sizes to match the décor in any room in your home. For a stain-resistant rug or carpet that is environmentally friendly and safe, choose carpet that is made out of soda and water bottles and discover the advantages!
For all of your Denver Hardwood Flooring needs visit our site today.